Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women, taking the life of 1 in 3 women each year. This means women just like you - mothers, sisters, friends - are dying at the rate of one per minute because they don’t know what you know: heart disease kills. Heart disease has already touched you or someone you love, so help us save a woman’s life today. Make It Your Mission to stop the No. 1 killer.
WHY TAKE ACTION?• Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women age 20 and over, killing approximately one woman every minute.
• More women die of heart disease than the next four causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
• 1 in 3 American women die of heart disease, compared to 1 in 30 women that die of breast cancer.
• Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
• Eighty percent of cardiac events in women may be prevented if they make the right choices for their hearts, involving diet, exercise and abstinence from smoking.
WHY GO RED?Research shows that women who Go Red are more likely to make healthy choices.
• More than one-third have lost weight.
• Nearly fifty percent have increased their exercise.
• Six out of ten have changed their diets.
• More than forty percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
• One-third have talked with their doctors about developing heart health plans.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
This year, Go Red For Women invites women across the country to Make It Their Mission to fight heart disease.
• TELL 5: Go Red For Women asks you to bring your network into our network. Tell 5 women you want them to live, and we can help stop heart disease in our lifetime. Give 5 women you care about the power to save their lives at GoRedForWomen.org.
• VOLUNTEER: Contact your local American Heart Association office to see how you can get involved with Go Red For Women.
• GIVE: Donate to help fund life-saving research and educational programs that are needed so that our daughters, sisters and mothers have a chance to fight the No.1 killer of women.
• SHOP GO RED: Go to ShopGoRed.org to support education and awareness programs by purchasing Go Red For Women apparel, accessories and other heart-healthy products.
• VISIT US AT GoRedForWomen.org: A premier source of information and education, GoRedForWomen.org is the No. 1 online destination where women can Make It Their Mission to fight heart disease.
– Go Red BetterU: Explore Go Red BetterU, the FREE 12-week online makeover that can change your life.
– Go Red Heart CheckUp: Check out Go Red’s online tool that provides a 10-year, personal heart disease risk assessment.
– Go to GoRedPorTuCorazon.org: Access information in Spanish and to learn about Go Red efforts in the Hispanic community.
For more information about Go Red For Women, visit GoRedForWomen.org or call 1-888-MY-HEART.