Tuesday, February 23, 2010
LUNAFEST - February 23 & 25!
LUNAFEST is a national traveling festival of award-winning short films by, for and about women. The films are filled with stories of reflection and whimsy, hope and humor, grace and perseverance. LUNAFEST films are renowned for celebrating the talents and stories of women. The films shown include many off the traditional "festival circuit". Collectively, LUNAFEST films captivate audiences, compel dialogue and arm those who participate with both the knowledge and motivation to make a difference in their communities.
This year LUNAFEST will be showing on February 24 and 25 at 6pm and again at 8:15pm at the Columbia Center for the Arts. There will be a pre-show event with wine and appetizers at 5:30pm. Tickets are available at the Waucoma Bookstore in Hood River: $12 for general admission and $10 for students and seniors.
LUNAFEST films have won industry awards and audience accolades; the films selected for the 2010 LUNAFEST share this brilliance. From quirky animation to touching documentaries, the 9 selected films are incredibly divers in both style and subject matter, united by a common thread of exceptional storytelling by, for and about women.
With a vision of uniting women through film, LUNAFEST was estatblished in 2000 by LUNA, the makers of the Whole Nutrition Bar for Women, to simultaneously promote women filmmakers, raise awareness for women's issues, and support worthy women's nonprofit organizations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
When Soroptimist of Hood River heard about this annual film festival, we felt it was a perfect fit with our mission. Soroptimist International of Hood River and Mount Adams are part of a worldwide organization for women in management and the professions that is a global voice for women through awareness, advocacy and action. Soroptimist International of Hood River and Mount Adams work towards these goals by raising funds to assist organizations like Helping Hands, Next Door, Gorge high school programs for girls and also provide scholarships for women going back to school.
85% of the funds raised at this film festival will go towards community service projects of Soroptimist of Hood River and Mount Adams and the other 15% will go towards the Breast Cancer Fund.